Also known as a coffee press or plunger, the French Press is a brilliant way to brew a great cuppa. Favoured by coffee lovers around the world for the rich and earthy taste it draws out of coffee, the press is simple and clean to use, perfectly suited to beginners and veterans alike.
Here’s our quick and easy tutorial to get you started:
- Preheat your press by adding boiling water and swilling it around until it is warm to the touch.
- Place the pot on a flat dry surface and pull out the plunger.
- Add ground coffee to the pot, aiming for a 1:13 coffee to water ratio. For our 450mL press you’ll want 34.6 grams of coffee.
(Grind should be medium and even: our Ground for Plunger option is perfect for this.)
- Pour hot water, not boiling, into the pot. We recommend a 93 degrees Celsius brewing temperature, roughly 30 seconds off boil. Stir gently.
- Carefully insert the plunger into the pot, stopping above the water and grounds, and let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Plunge! Press down slowly and steadily to get your delicious coffee.
The whole process shouldn’t take much longer than 5 minutes. Try experimenting with your coffee to water ratio to get the strength you’re looking for.
You can find the French Press on our store: Click Here